My letter to the Brick...

W E D N E S D A Y,  D E C E M B E R  2 3,   2 0 0 9


Dear Mr Upright

I am located in Ontario.
Re. Order # xxxxxxxxxxx

2 weeks ago I ordered a 1080p lcd television from your website as a Christmas gift. At the time, I was ensured by the site that there was a quantity available of the product ordered (which was the deciding factor in ordering from The Brick.)

A few days later I received a confirmation call that although the television was out of stock, that there would be absolutely no problem having it delivered after the 19th. This still allowed a week for delivery so I didn't worry.

On the 21st, the order was flagged as a discontinued product, and delivery was therefore impossible, No one bothered to contact me to advise me of this....which would have allowed me time to find an alternative.
I only discovered this because I began to worry when the recipient said The Brick had still not contacted them for delivery.

So here I am...2 days until Christmas, and the most important gift will not be delivered for Christmas, because of blindingly inefficient customer service by your company. After being bumped from phone to phone, I was connected to your web department, who, after having me surf through your site, advised me that there were simply no televisions available in the price range. I asked for a supervisor, who game me the locations of 2 store that had multiple units of the product in stock (which I point out, you had two weeks to transfer to your warehouse to fulfill my fully paid order.) I thought the problem was solved until I found that I was expected to pick the set up myself. Sir, I agreed to your ridiculously overpriced local delivery, because I had no way to pick the product up. The very nasty "Margo" who I spoke to had no intention of helping me further, so I told her to credit my Mastercard for the full amount. She then tells me that the credit will be processed within 3 to five business days.

Mr Upright, Christmas is two days away, I now have no gift, and no money to purchase a replacement from a more customer oriented (and organized) retailer because of the credit delay. I asked for a manager and Marjo told me there wasn't one (huh?) and when I insisted, she transfered me to Montreal (unaware I guess that I am bilingual, and that this would not cause any problems) there I spoke to "Nicole" who is a far better representative of your company, and although she too could not help me, she was at least kind enough to give me your email (Marjo told me to write to president@thebrick.com!!)

Sir, you sat on my funds for 2 weeks, earning interest. I was advised at the time of purchase that there was indeed stock - and this was confirmed by phone a few days later. You were advised on Monday that the product is now discontinued. I was never contacted, and fully expected pre-Christmas delivery. Throughout this The Brick was aware that this was a Christmas gift being shipped to an alternative address.

Sir, I want a television delivered for Christmas. Your Richmond Hill store has three units in stock, your Scarborough store has five. If you cannot arrange delivery through the store (a taxi will cost you less than the delivery I paid for), then I want a higher priced model shipped from your warehouse immediately. You do after all have all your boxing day stock already planned out, and I'm sure there is back stock in multiple units being reduced to a comparable price range.

You can contact me at work at 416-xxx-xxxx or at home this evening at 416-xxx-xxxx. You can also email me at pebovision@hotmail.com.

Sir, if I am not satisfied with your response (or do not receive one), and my Christmas is allowed to be ruined by your company, this email, and details of my conversations so far today will be placed on my blog tonight and emailed to the National Post and the Toronto Star consumer advocates. Any repercussions this causes is beyond my control.

One thing I assure you, neither myself, nor any of my friends will ever shop at The Brick again if my brother does not receive a television for Christmas.

If the refund was indeed processed, I fully expect it to include two weeks' interest.

My opinion of your company has done a complete 360!

Have a Happy Holiday - it's up to you whether I do.