A response from American Greetings.

AUGUST 01, 2011

As you've likely noticed, American Greetings left a comment last night on my previous post, asking me to contact them. It is telling that the comment was posted anonymously, and that the email addy given was the generic "altsupport@americangreetings.com", rather than a real name (bad marketing folks), but at least they responded.

Well, when I woke up this morning I also found two emails from Blue Mountain themselves confirming that my membership has been cancelled (hoo-rah!).


As much as I'd like to give Blue Mountain and American Greetings a pass on this, all they've done is cancel my membership - something that I should have been able to do myself before this all started. There are far too many examples of other people repeatedly suffering the same frustrations as I have, while Blue Mountain and American Greetings have never acted on improving their methods and procedures.

I cannot recommend that my readers make use of their services until they actually address the concerns of so many users over their billing practices.

As a result, this was my reply...



As instructed, I am writing to you regarding my inability to cancel my membership on your daughter company, Blue Mountain.

Since receiving your response to my blog post, I have also received two emails from Blue Mountain directly, confirming that my account has indeed been cancelled.

I thank you.

I am quite disappointed that this was made so difficult for me to do, especially since your billing is done with an auto-renew model. As my post outlined, your company has been made aware of the cancellation difficulties on your site numerous times over the past few years, but, it would seem, no attempts were made to fix it. Not only is this quite reprehensible, but it can only be described as an attempted cash grab from you clientele.

I would love to write a follow-up article describing the actions that bluemountain.com and American Greetings have undertaken to permanently address my concerns. A successful cancellation of MY account however, is not sufficient action for me to do so. I don't post critical reviews for my own benefit, but instead to attempt to illicit change from e-businesses who must (sadly) be reminded that end users must be treated with respect, if continued support is to be expected.

I don't expect you to abandon auto-renewals (although one would think that you would be concerned with the negative light in which these practices place your business), but my post outlined a few simple changes/improvements you could make to your procedures, that would greatly enhance your reputation in my eyes.

If your company makes headway on these recommendations, I will gladly post a new article, describing your efforts. Further, I invite American Greetings to comment publicly on your intentions in these regards. If no changes are made though, I cannot in good conscience recommend your sites to my readers, and will actively advise them not to join. I publish a small and insignificant blog, but my research uncovered that I am far from the first to voice dissatisfaction with your companies' renewal/cancellation methods. It is distressing that you do not demonstrate more concern over the bad reputation that is being earned by this facet of your operations.

At the very least YOU MUST fix your online cancellation functions! There is no excuse for the length of time (years) that this function has been broken.

Finally, what infuriated me and prompted me to publicly outline my frustrations with your firm, was the incessant nature of your repeated attempts to bill me. You are billing IN ADVANCE for services, giving you no right whatosever to make so many attempts to process the payment. This demonstrates a complete lack of respect for the people who have supported you. You ARE within your rights to suspend membership privileges, but NOT to harass your clients for payment for services they have not yet used! It is the reason why automatic-renewals are completely unsuited to pre-billed web service agreements.

Thank you for your assistance (which should not have been required) in cancelling my membership. I look forward to you enacting the changes that are required to make you a reputable member of the e-commerce community.

Please do not make light of my comments, as there is much work to be done. I find no fault in your services, but your billing practices are entirely untenable!


pebovision.blogspot.com



As my response states, I really would like to post some kind words about both of these companies, but so far they've done nothing to earn any praise. There is nothing wrong with the services on offer by Blue Mountain, my displeasure is entirely with their billing practices, and their inability (unwillingness) to demonstrate respect for their clientele. The anonymity that their representatives have chosen to maintain in their correspondence gives me justifiable reasons to believe that they have no intentions of altering their methods to the advantage of their users. (you don't respond to an irate customer anonymously - it's one of the first rules of PR!)

Nothing would make me happier than to report, in a few weeks, that American Greetings have started to make changes, or have posted a notice of intent on their sites (or here), but I'm sure you all join me in being doubtful that this particular tiger has any intention of changing it's stripes.

Too bad too, because they really do provide a fairly good service for those who might use it!

No comments: