OLiGarchy re-defined

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2011 

Family day long week-end and a backlog of computer upgrades / re-installs kept me away from updating my lotto-ID-saga for a few days, but OLG did get back to me last Friday....
It would seem that the OLG will accept my City of Toronto photo-ID to prove I'm over 18, but only if I bring it in person to their prize centre.

Now, they were willing to accept a driver's license or a health card via FAX, but "because of possibility of forgery", they will only accept my employee card in person. Who knew that PDL's and health cards are never fraudulent?? I've also got to wonder... would someone at the OLG office even know a real City of Toronto photo card from a fake?

But the real laugh-out-loud moment is when they asked whether my photo card listed a date of birth(!!)

Beyond being among the stupidest questions I've ever been asked (does your employee ID have a DOB???), what difference does it make? I'm 56 years old, I'd say the photo (and my in-person appearance) is going to prove that I'm over 18 without a friggin' DOB printed on the card. Geezus H Keerist!

As I said in my last post, I am being hassled for the sake of being hassled. I don't have any of the items on their limited list of acceptable ID's, so they are going to hassle me until I give up. No clerk at OLG wants to take responsibility over accepting a proof of age from a near 60 year old in case it comes back to haunt them.

Need further proof? Try this...

I was told that while they will now accept the photocard in person, I will now also have to provide some kind of proof that I am a resident of Ontario as well. WTF???? What the HELL does this have to do with purchasing a lottery ticket, or proving my age???

Well, you see, offering my Québec papers to prove my age resulted in questions being raised about my residency, and lotto-advance is only open to Ontario residents.

I guess that working for the City of Toronto, where they've phoned me repeatedly, doesn't suggest that I might just live in Ontario. (And I gotta tell you that 4-5 hour commute from the Eastern Townships of Québec to my office in Etobicoke every morning is a major bitch!)

I'll bite. I want them to process my lottery ticket order sometime this century, and if I argue, they may require blood samples next. So I ask if I could bring in a lease for my apartment, or utility bills to prove my residency. After all, even a bank will accept these to verify a home address.

The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation though, well they're not sure if they can accept valid proof of residence as proof of residence, and will have to get back to me.

Someone send me Paul Godfrey's email addy for lord sake!

I finally asked the latest young lady who called me this time if, after speaking to me, she had any doubt that I was WELL over 18. She didn't want to commit to an answer.

What a friggin' shock.

Wanna help?? Write to: olgcontactus@olg.ca and let them know what kind of photo ID a 60 year old should have to provide to prove he is over 18! 

Understand, I could easily go to a kiosk with the money I was given, and simply forget about lotto-advance or the OLG website. Hell, a few of you have already told me that this is what I should do. But I have been penalized my entire adult life for not having a driver's license and it ends now!! Otherwise someone else will suffer the same hassles at the hand of the Ontario Lottery Gestapo.  The ID I have offered is completely valid, and easily proves my age and identity. It simply isn't part of their "approved ID" list.

Tough Titty!

This is a crown corporation folks. They serve Ontario. So why is it MY servitude that being insisted upon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OLG? more like OMG!

Gunga Din said...

As a lifelong non-driver, who knows all too well how anal civil servants can be when it comes to what is acceptable proof of identity, I support you 100% on this fight.

I actually hope you take it to the petition stage.