AMY WINEHOUSE 1983-2011

SUNDAY, JULY 24, 2011


Let's be frank, the woman was a train-wreck bound for derailment.

That being said, she was also one of the greatest soul-singers of this generation - not that in the era of auto-tuned music-factory generated performers she had much competition (aside from perhaps the brilliant Sharon Jones - a woman who is redefining what it means to be "indy").

Her troubled life made it difficult for me to follow her career with the interest that her gift deserved, but I think in death we may be able to separate her path of self-destruction from the all-to-brief but notable contribution she has made, and she can join the greats of her genre as a true soul-legend.

Once again the tortured-soul that is required to create a talent of this magnitude has proven itself to be beyond human tolerance. As we all knew would happen, it imploded - while family, friends and fans were powerless to do anything but sit back and watch.

I'd say "R.I.P.", but I don't think she'd have much interest in resting in peace, so for Ms Winehouse, I'll simply say "P.O.W." (Party On Woman).

No comments: